• Prawns – 10 medium size (cleaned, dried, marinated with little salt, cut in small pieces and deep fried till crisp)
• Garlic – 6 cloves (finely chopped)
• Ginger – 1 teaspoon (grated)
• Fresh red chillies – 6 (finely chopped) or as per taste
• Peanuts – 1 Tablespoon
• Shallots – 8 large (finely sliced)
• Spring onions – 8 (finely chopped)
• Boneless chicken breasts – 2 (cut in strips)
• Prawns – 8 to 10
• Coriander – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
• Ketap manis (Sweet soy sauce) – 1 Tablespoon
• Oil – as needed
• Rice – 2 cups
• Eggs – 4-8 (depending on portion size)
1) Make a thick paste using little water of the deep fried prawns, garlic cloves, ginger, fresh red chillies and peanuts.
2) Cook rice with salt, cool and refrigerate overnight.
3) Fry the sliced shallots in enough oil, remove aside when they turn slightly brown.
These will then become crisp after some time.
4) Heat some oil in a wok. Add the prawn paste to it and fry for a little while.
5) Add salt and the chicken strips to this and brown them.
6) Now add the prawns and cook for 5-7 minutes.
7) Once prawns are done, add ketap manis (sweet soy sauce) and the cooked rice.
8) Add the crisply fried shallots, chopped spring onions and coriander.
9) Serve with fried egg, sunny side up drizzled with soy sauce and some fresh red chillies.
For the sweet vinegar sauce
Mix 1/4 cup of white vinegar with 3-4 teaspoons of sugar. To this add finely chopped carrots, cucumbers, spring onions and red chillies.